I wonder if my Grandma Marie would've been a blogger had computers been mainstream in her day. Ever since I was a little girl, whenever I've thought of journaling or when I have kept diaries, I would always be reminded of her. Grandma journaled every single evening at her desk in the TV room of our family's century old farmhouse. Reading her journal after she passed away, it was very full of facts and not much emotion. She was a strong German woman and a hard worker. You would have to be, giving birth to 14 children and raising 13, one of which has disabilities. My aunts once calculated the amount of time she was pregnant; 10 1/2 years, if my calculations are right. She was an active member of the little Catholic Church in Lake Henry, MN, right next to the small cemetary where she and many of my relatives lay at rest.I dedicate this blog to her.
Switching gears, a little update:
I am now in my fourth week in my first term at Doane College. Doane has five terms per year so each term ends up being 8 weeks long. The first four weeks has flown by so fast; I think it's a sign of how fast the next five years will go.
I am truly enjoying school, even the homework! Accounting class is from 6 - 10:30 at night each Thursday. I'd have to say of all my classes, this has been the most challenging and what I have to study the most. It's also very challenging clearing the cobwebs in my head that late in the evening to crunch numbers.
Business Writing is my class from 8 - 12:30 every Wednesday. I am just now being challenged in this class now that we have to give a 5-minute presentation using Power Point - something I've never done before! The only times I've opened Power Point is to view slideshow attachments in email forwards.
I already have all of my work for the term handed in for my online class, Information Retrieval Skills. As you can probably gather from the name...not so challenging.
I'm finishing up one last class at SCC on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. After trying to test out of beginning math courses twice, I ended up having to start from the bottom. Some of it is coming back to me from high school, but it's amazing how fuzzy it is. I'm getting through it alright and only have one more class to take before Calculus.
It's been so wonderful to set my own schedule and work on homework as I'm able to. Reece's days in daycare are shorter and my time with him is longer. His days will be even shorter starting March 1st. I'll only be able to afford daycare from 8am - 1pm Monday - Thursday. I was hoping to take four classes next term, but I don't think my student loans, living expenses, and homework time allowed with Reece's new daycare schedule will let me. So three classes it is, and I'll enjoy my time with him while I can.
(Garding Farm photo taken by my cousin, Aaron Laib)

Bravo!!
ReplyDeleteKeep up the hard work.
You're very fortunate to have the memories of your grandmother that you do :)
ReplyDeleteI love that you dedicated your blog to Grandma, I remember her regular journaling too. Where did you get the picture of her?
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your blog link! I keep meaning to start one, if I ever do you'll be the first to know. :)
-Gina
Love the opening of your blog. I have that picture of Mom on our headboard. It's also a great picture of the farm that Aaron took. You write very well Anne. I hope school continues to go well for you. If math is a real stickler for you, you can always ask your mother to help out. Take care, Love Joe & Barb.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the post Anne...keep 'em coming.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comments, all!
ReplyDeleteJohn, Mike thought he remembered you saying you can use a previous template to make picture setup quicker? How does that work?
Mike... Yes, I am. We should visit the farm in June on that Saturday morning.
Gina, Mom and I requested a copy of this picture from Mary. It was in Grandma's box of photos that was at the farm. I'll try to scan a decent copy from Mom's printer and send you one. Yes, let me know if you start a blog up!
Thanks, Joe and Barb! Yes, Mom has already experienced a phone call or two, usually after Reece goes to bed and her mind is fuzzy.
Will's mom...thanks! I plan on writing another entry this week. :)