Stearns County holds great history on both my Dad's and Mom's side. In July, I was able to meet many family members at a reunion on my Dad's side that I had never met before.
Pioneer Inn 
Freeport, MN
Grandma Rose Miller
Pioneer Inn 
Freeport, MN
Grandma Rose Miller
My great-grandparents, John "JB" and Mary Josephine "Josie", owned and ran Pioneer Inn and raised my grandma and her siblings in the upper level from 1899 to 1914. JB became a banker and they moved into a large white house in Holdingford, MN. I was told that JB was said to have funded those who produced and distributed Minnesota 13 whiskey during prohibition. It was named after Hwy 13 - the road that the whiskey was transported on. The things you learn at reunions! My great-aunt Marcella continued living there after my great-grandparents passed away. After Marcella's death in 2007 at the age of 100, my Dad contemplated purchasing the house and turning it into a bed & breakfast but in the end decided against it. I have fond memories there. I'd like to visit both the Inn which is now a restaurant and drive past "the white house" next time I'm in MN. I would also like to visit the resting place of the little baby girl, Mary, who my Dad and his late wife lost just a few days after she was born. I think Mary would be in her 40's right now had she pulled through.
No comments:
Post a Comment